Quake Me Up!
The past two days seemed like a nightmare for me. I felt that I was isolated and detached from all the happenings around me. Why? No internet access!!!
The earthquake in Taiwan caused a major disruption of communication in Asia because the submarine cables were damaged. The internet and telecom providers all over the region scrambled to reroute their systems. In my case, Destiny, my internet provider, went online only a few hours ago. I was offline from Thursday noontime.
I felt so helpless not being able to access my email or surf the net. I got so uneasy watching TV knowing that I could not do any productive work because I didn't know what the status of the projects were. Among the few emails that got through, one was an advisory telling me about the service disruption. I got a text message from a colleague informing me that a status report and a timetable for a project had been sent a few days ago, but, I couldn't retrieve it. Aside from the unavailability of internet, people, including myself, seemed to be still in a holiday mode and thus, didn't want to meet up to discuss business.
I tried some internet cafes but they also had the same problem. Coffee shops with wifi hotspots were not of help either. This morning, my brother's provider, PLDT DSL, got online. I had to retrieve my emails from his house via his router. I also bought some internet cards (dial-up) to use just in case. I tried out the dial-up but, if you are used to cable internet or DSL, it was sooooo slow and got disconnected often!!
At about 6:00pm, lo and behold, I saw Yahoo! on my screen again and my email messages began pouring in as if a faucet had just been opened. I got 21 emails all at once!
It sure feels weird not having internet. I guess we are so used to having it at the tip of our fingers. Same goes for the cellphone. I feel empty whenever I leave it at home. We are truly a generation of techies!
In hindsight, I had time to rest and enjoy the short holidays. I miss the times when we were content with marbles, tex, shato, piko, habulan, patintero, agawan base, etc. The intro of Atari surely changed my life forever.
Anyway, now that the internet is back, my computer has been awakened from its slumber and is humming once again. Have to read and reply to a bunch of emails now. Tapos na ang maliligayang araw!!
Happy New Year to all!
The earthquake in Taiwan caused a major disruption of communication in Asia because the submarine cables were damaged. The internet and telecom providers all over the region scrambled to reroute their systems. In my case, Destiny, my internet provider, went online only a few hours ago. I was offline from Thursday noontime.
I felt so helpless not being able to access my email or surf the net. I got so uneasy watching TV knowing that I could not do any productive work because I didn't know what the status of the projects were. Among the few emails that got through, one was an advisory telling me about the service disruption. I got a text message from a colleague informing me that a status report and a timetable for a project had been sent a few days ago, but, I couldn't retrieve it. Aside from the unavailability of internet, people, including myself, seemed to be still in a holiday mode and thus, didn't want to meet up to discuss business.
I tried some internet cafes but they also had the same problem. Coffee shops with wifi hotspots were not of help either. This morning, my brother's provider, PLDT DSL, got online. I had to retrieve my emails from his house via his router. I also bought some internet cards (dial-up) to use just in case. I tried out the dial-up but, if you are used to cable internet or DSL, it was sooooo slow and got disconnected often!!
At about 6:00pm, lo and behold, I saw Yahoo! on my screen again and my email messages began pouring in as if a faucet had just been opened. I got 21 emails all at once!
It sure feels weird not having internet. I guess we are so used to having it at the tip of our fingers. Same goes for the cellphone. I feel empty whenever I leave it at home. We are truly a generation of techies!
In hindsight, I had time to rest and enjoy the short holidays. I miss the times when we were content with marbles, tex, shato, piko, habulan, patintero, agawan base, etc. The intro of Atari surely changed my life forever.
Anyway, now that the internet is back, my computer has been awakened from its slumber and is humming once again. Have to read and reply to a bunch of emails now. Tapos na ang maliligayang araw!!
Happy New Year to all!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home