Monday, October 16, 2006

Doble Vista

I went to see my eye doctor a few weeks ago to have my prescription checked. I also wanted to know whether I would already need reading glasses since I was already past 40 years of age. I noticed that my reading was getting a bit difficult especially with newspapers and text messages on my cellphone. I had to move the reading material away from my eyes to get a clear focus.

The doctor validated my suspicion. I already needed reading glasses and, the grades of both my eyes had increased significantly. I have been wearing glasses since I was in grade 4. I tried wearing contact lenses for a few years, most often during my basketball playing years, but I would always get an eye irritation and my lenses would always get out of position. I was told that contact lenses would be very difficult for me because of my high astigmatism (the lenses of my eyes are not perfect spheres). Thus, I stopped wearing contact lenses.

The doctor told me that I was a perfect candidate for laser eye surgery. A few years ago, I was very apprehensive to have laser surgery on my eyes since I feared that any complication would have an effect on how I could see colors. "Wala na akong trabaho!" if that happens. Now, I am considering having it done but, that is only if I have difficulty with my new pair of glasses – a "doble-vista".



I remember seeing the "doble-vista" being used by Lolo Soc. I have been wearing it since Friday and am trying to get used to it. Its a bit difficult since a slight repositioning of the eyes changes the magnification of an object. The bigger portion of my lens is for my near-sightedness while a small portion in the lower part is for reading. I was advised to walk with my head slightly bent down to avoid tripping. I still get headaches but I know I have to get used to these unless I decide to go for the laser surgery (have to set aside some funds for this).

I find it amusing that with a small flick of my eyes, the view of the world changes dramatically.

"Tumatanda na talaga!"

2 Comments:

Blogger tilamsik said...

Hi Franco, malabo na din yata mata ko kasi when I read I have to do exactly what you wrote: pull the book farther away from my eyes to get a clearer focus. Malay natin, kung magpa-check din ako ng mata, ganoon na din ang verdict -- reading glasses! Bebop by the way, uses them now to read. It's a sign, I agree, tumatanda na tayo! Rhea :-)

8:47 AM  
Blogger tilamsik said...

Hi Franco, malabo na din yata mata ko kasi when I read I have to do exactly what you wrote: pull the book farther away from my eyes to get a clearer focus. Malay natin, kung magpa-check din ako ng mata, ganoon na din ang verdict -- reading glasses! Bebop by the way, uses them now to read. It's a sign, I agree, tumatanda na tayo! Rhea :-)

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home