Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Surprising China

I just got back from a trip to Beijing with my parents and "kuya". I was expecting Beijing to be drab, grey and not very progressive but – I was very mistaken!! Beijing is now a very cosmopolitan. Its high rise buildings are very impressive both in size and in design. The new buildings in Manila would look old and small when compared to the very modern structures of Beijing.

They have achieved a very nice mix of modernization and culture in the city. In the midst of all the state-of-the-art architecture and massive government buildings is the Forbidden City. It's structures are very well preserved and continuously being restored. In fact, some of the palaces were behind nets and scaffolds because of restoration projects in anticipation of numerous tourists during the 2008 Beijing Olympics. The infrasturcture is tremendous. All the latest brands and models of cars can be seen. I guess a sign of true progress is traffic, which can be horrendous during rush hour.

About an hour away from the city is the "Great Wall". We took a cable car to the top and walked some steep flights of stairs to get to one of the highest towers. Upon reaching the top, you can get a certificate for your accomplishment. Kuya and I were a bit winded when we got to the top. My parents opted to stay behind because they had already gone there a few years ago. Upon seeing the structure and imagining how it was built manually, all I can say is WOW!

One of the treats during our trip were the meals included in our tour package. Most of our meals were of the lauriat type. Ten viands from soup, rice, main course and dessert was the usual fare. I guess there was no MSG since it did not make me sleepy but certainly, it was too oily. One meal I enjoyed the most was the Peking Duck dinner. We went to a building consisting of five floors serving Peking Duck. You could see the cooking process through clear glass windows while waiting for seats. Ducks would be stuffed and bloated with liquid marinate and a cork inserted into its butt (ouch!). The duck would then be hung inside a brick oven heated with burning wood. When the duck is cooked, the cork is removed and the liquid is drained. The duck is then put on a trolley to be served. I can tell you that it is the best Peking Duck I have ever tasted. There is no sign of fat and the skin is so crunchy while the meat is tender. It is a meal you can dream about and constantly crave for.

Shopping is also a delight in Beijing. Where can you find a place that will challenge your bargaining abilities to the hilt. Imagine a jacket priced at 1230RMB (RMB is the term for their currency, symbol for Yuan. $1 = 7.8RMB) but after intense bargaining was sold for 170RMB. Can you imagine that!? I got Rinnah some Ferragamo and Chloe bags initially priced at 900RMB but sold for 300RMB. Maybe some foreigners would bargain for prices just a bit lower but "hindi nila kaya ang pinoy!) First "tawad" should be a minimum of 25% of their given price to a maximum of 10%. If they do not agree to your initial offer, turn away and they would really scamper after you and most of the time, about 90% of the time, you would get the item at the price you want. Grabe!! With $300 pocket money, your luggage would be bursting at the seams!!

Only drawback is that people still have a hard time communicating in English but I'm sure this would be addressed in time for the 2008 Olympics.

I surely will return to Beijing. Next time, I will bring Rinnah and Aina along.

2 Comments:

Blogger TOW Blog said...

kofranks, beijing is really memorable. ricky and i were able to visit before we left. we climbed a bit of the great wall--what an experience, no? (medyo winter, 10 degrees yata!) i will remember the summer palace, the lauriat, the bicycles, the dvd sa bangketa, and just the space of awesome beijing for the rest of my life!!

rinnah will enjoy, lalo na sa winter, very fashionable anf clothes nila.

great post, great pics! thanks!

12:06 AM  
Blogger tilamsik said...

Hi Franco, I've never been to Beijing nor any part of China, but reading your blog about it made me appreciate it somehow. I've been hearing only good things about Beijing from different people. My brother in law Jake Deveras worked there for some time. Your picture on the Great Wall showed a breath-taking view! Wow, what an experience! Rhea

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home