Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Gonna Reach the SONA?

Well, the weekend came and went. Only significant event was the Pro-GMA rally in Luneta. All I can say is "kahakot-hakot ang dami ng tao" as compared to the GMA Resign rally in Makati. People were not even reacting to the goings-on on stage. I wouldn't be surprised if there were marshalls deployed with "APPLAUSE" placards to cue the audience. Another attention-getter was Kris Aquino's defense of President Cory and her, together with co-hosts Boy Abunda and Cristy Fermin, bashing of Secretary of Injustice Raul Gonzales.

This morning began with the signs of further rumblings. Secretaries Afable, Garchitorena and Guidote have resigned. The CBCP has clarified that their statement does not, in any way, give a Pro-GMA stand. I guess it was the way Archbishop Capalla delivered the "we do not demand her resignation" line that lead to the misinterpretation (I'm sure you know, based on previous statements, on who's camp the good Bishop supports). It seems the individual Bishops are having struggles with their personal convictions.

The Bishops'-Businessmens' Conference (BBC) was non-committal but at least, they gave a deadline to the creation of a Truth Commission. It just made me feel uneasy to see Mr. Jose Concepcion (of Namfrel infamy) seated at the BBC table during the presscon. Wasn't Namfrel mentioned by Garci in the tape as being supportive of GMA? Where is the "delicadeza"?

The re-imaging strategy has gone into full effect. I don't think the citizenry will be fooled with this latest superficial effort. The reform seems to be geared towards self-image rather than the country's survival.

More cabinet resignations will surely deliver a big blow to the government. The much-awaited new witnesses of Archbishop Cruz on the jueteng issue will also be presented tomorrow.

The impeachment train is moving into full gear even if its trip is towards the unknown. Many obstacles and road blocks, particularly from the GMA's favorite pet, JDV and his puppy dogs in the House, are expected.

If GMA thinks she is home free, she better think again. She may have just found herself in between the devil and the truth.

If I were her, I'd go for the truth to set herself free, preferably before the SONA.