Friday, October 08, 2010

In Search of My Lost Creative Soul

I have always thought of myself as being a creative soul. Eversince childhood, I would immerse myself in interests that leaned toward the arts. I loved to draw, write and watch TV. I learned how to draw with the guidance of my older brother, Rosky. I idolized him and his drawings. Up to this day, I look up to my Kuya Rosky and take guidance and inspiration from him.

What began as a simple tracing of comic book characters such as Casper, Hot Stuff, Batman, Thor, etc. turned out to be a passion I would carry on up until my teen and young adult life.

I continued drawing but I felt I was not good enough since I would compare my drawings to some of my classmates such as Noni de Guzman and Noel Domingo. They were such great illustrators.

In high school, I would do some drawings here and there but during this time in my life, basketball was the center of my attention ... parties too! Creative work would come in handy in letters and gifts to girls.

College life was a lot different, I would be more aware with the situation the Philippines was in and I wanted to make my voice heard. During this time, I landed a cartoonist position at Ang Pahayagang Malaya. I had a daily political commentary comic strip which ended in 1987.

My parents didi not allow me to study Fine Arts and wanted me to study in Ateneo so, I took up Business Management instead. After graduation from college, I got a job as an Account Executive at McCann Erickson Philippines. I still continued my comic strip during that time and the head of my division chanced upon me drawing. He asked me if I wanted to transfer to the creative group and I said "Yes!".

I started from being a studio artist and then a visualizer and then an Art Director.

I worked as an Art Director for other companies as well and eventually became Creative Director and Creative Consultant. I also took a film course hoping to be a film and video director. I was able to do some ten videos but the stress and ungodly hours took its toll on me.

A few years ago, I joined some batchmates to put up an integrated marketing agency called Activasia. Initially, I was Creative Director and handled mostly the art-based work. Early this year, I was tasked to handle the "take us to the future" type of work. I enjoy my new work but still long for the creative stuff. I also feel that I am not contributing to my company and this has affected my confidence and self-worth.

I hope I can find my way back. I hope I can rekindle my creative spirit. The journey continues ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home