Goodbye Kapit-Langit

It is said that writing or journaling can speed up the healing process since it gives one a chance to release pent up anger and express hurt feelings.

I am writing this to relieve me of so much pain and sadness.
Sadness and pain is what I feel now that our beloved Baguio home, Kapit-Langit, has been sold recently. Kapit-Langit was the vacation home of former Senator Francisco Soc Rodrigo and his family - my family. The property was acquired from Dr. Kneedler as payment for legal fees from war damages and the original house was constructed in 1950. Remodelling was done in 1967.

I no longer remember the original house since I was born in 1963. I was only 4 years old when the house was re-built. The present structure, with all its nook and crannies, even its imperfections are part of my most cherished memories. The furniture, the colors of the walls, the spiral staircase, the stairway to the attic rooms, the fireplace and even the sound when one walks on the floorboards, even the smell of wood indoors and fresh pine outdoors are so vivid in my mind.

I spent countless summer and Christmas vacations with my cousins in Kapit-Langit. So many adventures and stories to tell. So many friends have slept over. So many moments to keep in my heart. From the time we were toddlers to teens to adults to married adults to becoming parents ourselves, the few days in Baguio was one of the highlights for each year. I am glad that my daughter Aina got to experience Kapit-Langit too.
Last week, I bade goodbye to her. Kissed her door and laid my hand on her fireplace. I will miss you Kapit-Langit. It is good to know that the buyer will not tear down the house but instead use it as a residence. I am happy that Kapit-Langit will still continue to serve its purpose of bringing so much happiness but this time, to a new family.

Paalam Kapit-Langit at salamat!


1 Comments:
My friends and I drove up at night after a few drinks or so, and scared each other with dreadful stories that may have left the place abandoned and eerie. I still recall a few urban legends that have surrounded Kapit Langit, but what i remember most one late afternoon is this fog the crept up from nowhere and just as it was about to envelop the entire compound, there it was above the gates.. 'KAPIT LANGIT'. I then realized the significance. A question I have asked so many, but rather given a grim interpretation.
Post a Comment
<< Home