Hope in the Next Generation
I sent an email of congratulations to Minotte last week. It was meant to inform her of how much I was impressed by her son, Enrico.
Minotte's two sons, Maui and Enrico, are here in Manila for a vacation. Usually, there is a family gathering in my Lola's house every Sunday lunch.
Here is a brief backgrounder. There is currently a group of nephews who formed a band and practice almost daily. Initially, the practice area had been a third floor room owned by the grandfather of one of the members but, due to space contraints, so they say, I think it may be more of a noise pollution problem, they moved to a place right outside my grandmother's room. My Lola says that she doesn't mind but, can you imagine rock band music on the ears of a 92 year-old? Mabait lang talaga ang Lola but I feel she deserves more consideration and respect. At this point in her life, she should be given as much peace and quiet as possible. Maybe, asking permission before each practice session would be in order instead of just banging away.
Back to Enrico. The band usually starts their ruckus, after Sunday lunch while we are in the dining area of Lola's house sharing some stories. They just go out and start playing without even asking if it is alright for them to play already. Once they start, we have to increase our voices to be able to hear each other.
This is the bright spot. Enrico went inside the house from the practice area and asked us, "Is the noise too loud? Aren't you bothered by the noise?" I felt so good and proud when I heard that because now I know that there is someone from the next generation who can carry on the trait that Lolo Soc has often reminded my generation and that is "Be considerate." He is also one of the few who doesn't need to be told to kiss/greet his elders. I am glad he has not imbibed the American attitude of kids towards their elders.
Congrats Minotte and Ricky! You should be very proud of Enrico as I am.
Minotte's two sons, Maui and Enrico, are here in Manila for a vacation. Usually, there is a family gathering in my Lola's house every Sunday lunch.
Here is a brief backgrounder. There is currently a group of nephews who formed a band and practice almost daily. Initially, the practice area had been a third floor room owned by the grandfather of one of the members but, due to space contraints, so they say, I think it may be more of a noise pollution problem, they moved to a place right outside my grandmother's room. My Lola says that she doesn't mind but, can you imagine rock band music on the ears of a 92 year-old? Mabait lang talaga ang Lola but I feel she deserves more consideration and respect. At this point in her life, she should be given as much peace and quiet as possible. Maybe, asking permission before each practice session would be in order instead of just banging away.
Back to Enrico. The band usually starts their ruckus, after Sunday lunch while we are in the dining area of Lola's house sharing some stories. They just go out and start playing without even asking if it is alright for them to play already. Once they start, we have to increase our voices to be able to hear each other.
This is the bright spot. Enrico went inside the house from the practice area and asked us, "Is the noise too loud? Aren't you bothered by the noise?" I felt so good and proud when I heard that because now I know that there is someone from the next generation who can carry on the trait that Lolo Soc has often reminded my generation and that is "Be considerate." He is also one of the few who doesn't need to be told to kiss/greet his elders. I am glad he has not imbibed the American attitude of kids towards their elders.
Congrats Minotte and Ricky! You should be very proud of Enrico as I am.


1 Comments:
i am so happy to hear that! enrico is naturally more sensitive to other people's needs. i hope he doesn't lose this sensitivity.
thanks for teaching him many things, among them, basketball skills, because these are also life skills that he brings with him.
and now i heard, boxing. . .
way to go!
minotte
Post a Comment
<< Home